A traditional recipe that originates from America, this is the perfect way to get you in the mood for Halloween.
Preparation time: 1hr 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
125g butter or margarine
1/3 cup cold water
1. Mix in a large bowl the flour, salt and butter until the mixture starts to form into breadcrumbs. At this stage ad the water and mix (with your hands) until the ingredients are firm enough to form a ball
2. Place the ball of pastry into the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes.
3. Once chilled and firm roll out a sheet 1/2cm thick and enough to line your pie dish.
1 medium sized Pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
225g brown sugar
1/2 pint of milk
2 eggs, beaten
100g / 125ml cream
1. Peel, remove the seeds and stew your pumpkin until it is soft enough to mash finely.
2. Once the pumpkin has been mashed and sieved to ensure a smooth fine texture ad the salt nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and ginger and mix together.
3. Add the remaining ingredients: eggs, sugar, then milk and cream and beat very hard until the ingredients achieve an even consistency.
4. Pour your mixture into the uncooked pastry shell and cover with pastry as well.
5. Bake in a moderately heated oven (190 degress celcius) until it is set (you should be able to tell this by gently poking with a knife)
6. A traditional American dish enjoyed across the states especially at Christmas! Bon Apetitt.